IIT Guwahati, Scientists Spotlight Dark Matter Universe Role

One of the most enduring enigmas in cosmology, dark matter, might be nearing a breakthrough thanks to a recent study by researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT Guwahati) and their international colleagues. Their findings, published in the esteemed journal Physical Review D, provide new insights into how dark matter may have significantly shaped the universe’s structure and the predominance of matter over antimatter.

The Elusive Dark Matter

We inhabit a universe where the visible matter we can observe, like stars and galaxies, makes up a mere 5%. The remaining 95% is shrouded in mystery, dominated by dark matter (estimated at 27%) and dark energy (68%). Despite its vast presence, dark matter remains frustratingly elusive. It interacts with gravity but not with light, rendering it invisible to our current telescopes. This invisibility makes studying and understanding dark matter a formidable challenge.

Singlet Fermion and the Birth of the Universe

The research team led by IIT Guwahati proposes a groundbreaking theory centered around a specific type of dark matter particle – a singlet fermion – influenced by a scalar field. This field, according to the researchers, could have played a critical role in the early universe’s rapid expansion, known as inflation. Inflation is a hypothetical period in the universe’s history where it underwent an incredibly rapid expansion. The proposed scalar field might have driven this inflation, similar to how the Higgs field is theorized to have given mass to particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

The theory goes beyond just inflation. The researchers suggest that the scalar field could also have triggered a phase transition in the early universe. A phase transition is a drastic shift in a system’s physical state, like water turning from liquid to ice. In the context of the early universe, this could have involved a fundamental change in the nature of dark matter itself.

Unveiling the Matter-Antimatter Imbalance

The most intriguing aspect of the study lies in the possibility that dark matter itself might have transformed into regular matter under the extreme conditions of the early universe. This decay, driven by the immense temperatures, could explain the observed imbalance between matter and antimatter. In the prevailing cosmological model, the Big Bang should have produced equal amounts of matter and antimatter. However, our universe is brimming with matter, and the reason behind this asymmetry remains a perplexing question.

The IIT Guwahati-led research proposes that the decay of dark matter in the early universe, influenced by the scalar field, could have tipped the scales in favor of matter, leading to the dominance we see today. As the universe cooled, the remaining stable dark matter particles would have persisted, forming the invisible mass that shapes galaxies and influences cosmic structures today.

A New Chapter in Understanding the Cosmos

This research offers a refreshing perspective on dark matter’s role in the universe’s evolution. While further investigation and verification through future experiments and telescopes are necessary, it represents a significant leap forward in our endeavor to unravel the mysteries of the unseen components that govern the vast cosmos. The study’s implications could have far-reaching consequences for our understanding of the universe’s origin and structure, opening new avenues for exploration in the field of cosmology, including potentially informing the development of new dark matter detection methods.

Recent Blog : Hemophilia B Risk in Imported Human Eggs for Fertility

Leave a Comment